Visit the Tennessee Aquarium, See Tahiti for Free
11/9/2010 10:41:19 AM
Above Image: Tropical Holiday Adventure fun! The Tennessee Aquarium’s hyacinth macaws enjoy opening surprise-filled packages.”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Thom Benson 423-785-3007
Visit the Tennessee Aquarium, See Tahiti for Free
Tropical Holiday Adventure Combo Offered November 19 to January 2, 2011
Chattanooga, Tenn. (November 9, 2010) – Mention Tahiti and Jimmy Buffett’s “One Particular Harbor,” a tribute to the relaxation that, “No doctor can prescribe” might come to mind. You might also picture a scene where surfers effortlessly ride massive waves. Visitors will get a taste of both worlds during the Tennessee Aquarium’s “Tropical Holiday Adventure” November 19th to January 2nd, 2011. Guests will receive one free ticket to see Ultimate Wave: Tahiti 3D at IMAX for each paid Aquarium admission. This action-packed film takes audiences to the Pacific island paradise with ten-time world surfing champion Kelly Slater. Guests feel as though they are riding the towering, six-story waves and swimming among the colorful reef fish in the crystal-clear waters of Tahiti.
Tahiti 3D complements the Tropical Holiday Adventure experience awaiting guests within the Aquarium’s two buildings. Visitors will be able to relax within a warm, orchid-filled rainforest while enjoying holiday music with a Caribbean vibe. Tropically clad “Santa” join schools of colorful reef fish and big, toothy sharks during interactive programs in the Aquarium’s largest saltwater exhibit, the Secret Reef. Multitudes of beautiful butterflies provide a whimsical atmosphere to the daily lineup of activities. Visitors learn more about these winged beauties while helping release newly emerged butterflies twice each day.
In River Journey, guests will be introduced to exotic creatures ranging from a tiny toucan to festive-looking reptiles and amphibians during special animal encounter programs. Newly added marine creatures like horseshoe crabs will thrill young guests as they get up close to these prehistoric saltwater animals. Visitors will also have a chance to let their imaginations drift as Aquarium keepers explain seahorse behavior during feeding programs.
The daily lineup of activities also includes opportunities to help keepers feed stingrays, meet the divas of the tropics, the hyacinth macaws, and provide holiday enrichment items to the Aquarium’s lovable otters. It’s an awe inspiring way to get away from it all!
“Tropical Holiday Adventure” daily schedule - Nov. 19, 2010 - Jan. 2, 2011
(The Aquarium is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.)
• 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Hourly Animal Encounters. Locations and animals vary throughout the day.
• 10:15 a.m. – Help keepers surface feed stingrays and guitarfish – Ocean Journey – Tropical Cove, Shark Island, Level 4
• 10:30 a.m. – Delight in the first flight of butterflies when they are released into a lush tropical garden – Ocean Journey – Butterfly Garden, Level 4
• 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. – Talk to tropical “Santa” divers as they take you on a shark-filled journey through spectacular coral formations – Ocean Journey -- Secret Reef, Level 2
• 11: 15 a.m. - You ‘otter’ chill out with the river otters during “enrichment” time. See what happens when treats, ice and toys mix with two playful otters – River Journey – Cove Forest, Level 4
• 1 p.m. -- Get a gander at one of the real “Parrot Heads,” the highly social hyacinth macaw, during this program that explores the bold behaviors and adaptations of the largest member of the parrot family – Ocean Journey – Tropical Cove, Level 4
• 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. -- Talk to tropical “Santa” divers as they take you on a shark-filled journey through spectacular coral formations – Ocean Journey -- Secret Reef, Level 2
• 3:30 p.m. -- Join the seahorses for their version of “Slurpin’ a Cheeseburger in Paradise” and discover what these steeds of the deep really eat – River Journey, Level A
• 4 p.m. – Surround yourself with butterflies and meet their perfect complement, crested wood partridges living under the trees - Ocean Journey – Butterfly Garden, Level 4
Visitors can stretch out their holiday fun in downtown Chattanooga.
Kickoff the season by catching “Orchid Fever” during the Aquarium’s Tropical Holiday Adventure Orchid Preview and Sale on Thursday, November 18th from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. Join fellow orchid lovers during this special evening to view the new displays of rare and exotic orchids in the Tropical Cove. Horticulture experts will be on hand to give insight and tips to those who wish to purchase one of these spectacular plants as a unique holiday gift. Enjoy complimentary light appetizers, tea, coffee and a cash bar. Adults: $5/Members; $18/Non-Members
Also showing at the Tennessee Aquarium IMAX 3D Theater Nov. 19th to Jan. 2nd , 2011: Toy Story 3D and Polar Express 3D. The holiday fun is bigger, bolder and better on the giant screen.
Usher in 2011 Aquarium-style by registering for the New Year’s Eve Sleep in the Deep.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve visiting animals and habitats from around the world and then raise a “midnight” toast with a sparkling non-alcoholic beverage. This night of adventure includes activities in both Aquarium buildings. Explore behind the scenes, get up-close with our critters, and at lights out, bed down in the Undersea Cavern of Ocean Journey. Includes overnight, guided tours, special activities, pizza and continental breakfast. Families with children AGE 6 AND OLDER, accompanied by an adult. $45/Member, per person; $55/Non-Member, per person.