College Days Discount at the Tennessee Aquarium
1/26/2012 2:05:20 PM
The Tennessee Aquarium offers a special discount for college students during February. Students can save 50% off admission to the Aquarium, IMAX 3D Theater and River Gorge Explorer
Above image: Freshwater tiger rays, like the ones seen at the Tennessee Aquarium, are amazing animals to view up close.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Thom Benson 423-785-3007
Aquarists Hoping for Romance among Tiger Rays
College Days Discount at the Tennessee Aquarium Throughout February
Chattanooga, Tenn. (January 20, 2012) – Aquarists at the Tennessee Aquarium are hoping February is a romantic month for a pair of stingrays. A new tiger stingray was recently added to the Freshwater Ray exhibit inside the Ocean Journey building. This male ray is on loan from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. According to Carol Haley, the Tennessee Aquarium’s assistant curator of fishes, these beautiful animals are not being imported outside of South America and there is no captive breeding taking place in the United States. “Their markings are amazing, which makes these rays very popular with guests,” said Haley. “So participating in population management programs like this, with other Association of Zoos and Aquariums accredited institutions, helps maintain genetically diverse and healthy populations of these amazing creatures.”
Throughout the month of February, college students, faculty and staff will have an opportunity to check in on these romantic rays and all the other Aquarium animals for half price. To receive the College Days discount, visitors must present a valid college ID when purchasing tickets. Family members may also receive this discount when accompanied by a student or faculty member with current college ID. This offer is valid for admission to the Tennessee Aquarium, IMAX 3D Theater or combination tickets to both attractions. The discount is also extended to cruises aboard the River Gorge Explorer. http://www.tnaqua.org/PlanYourVisit/CollegeDays.aspx
Fab Five February events at the Tennessee Aquarium, IMAX 3D Theater & River Gorge Explorer:
1) Groundhog Day February 2nd! Chattanooga Chuck, the Aquarium’s official long-range forecaster will make special appearances at 11 am and 4 pm. Learn about his “Storm Team” of other weather predicting animals. Follow Chuck on Twitter: @ChattNoogaChuck
2) Two 4 One cruising! – February is a great time to spot bald eagles and other wildlife aboard the River Gorge Explorer. Your college ID means you get a “two-fer” without waiting for some Internet “1-Day Deal.” So surprise a friend with a cool cruise.
3) Be part of a free-flight bird program! Volunteer to be a part of a live animal program in Ranger Rick’s Backyard Safari. Be prepared to be upstaged by one of the Aquarium’s charismatic birds.
4) Giant Screen Adventure! – See how many sea creatures you can find within the Aquarium’s buildings that are featured in Under the Sea 3D. Take a virtual trip inside a six-story twister with Storm Chasers star Sean Casey while watching Tornado Alley 3D. Or, swing and sway with baby orangutans and baby elephants while enjoying Born to be Wild 3D, a top pick on “Rotten Tomatoes.”
5) Go Retro! Help the Aquarium celebrate their 20th anniversary. Post a picture of your college visit on the Aquarium’s Facebook page. Bonus points if you share memories or pictures of childhood visits.
February 2012 College Days Aquarium ticket price
$12.50 Adult $7.50 Child
February 2012 College Days IMAX ticket price
$4.25 Adult $3.50 Child
February 2012 College Days Combo (Aquarium and IMAX) ticket price
$15.50 Adult $10.50 Child
February 2012 College Days River Gorge Explorer ticket price
$14.50 Adult $10.75 Child
Get up to date information on College Days and other Aquarium happenings by becoming a Tennessee Aquarium Facebook Fan: http://www.facebook.com/tennesseeaquarium